Duplicating a Craft Site
If you’ve built a Craft site and would like to use it as a starting point for a new Craft site, it’s fairly easy to do that by “duplicating” the original site.
To duplicate a Craft site, follow these steps:
- Create a backup of the database the original site is connected to.
- Create a new database, and import the database backup to it.
- Duplicate all of the files in your craft/ folder (and your front-end files, if desired) into a new location that you want to use for your new site.
- Delete craft/config/license.key from the new location, so the new site gets its own Craft license.
- Edit craft/config/db.php in the new location, to configure the new Craft site to connect to your new database.
- Edit craft/config/general.php in the new location, and set the siteUrl config setting based on the new site’s URL.
- Configure your web server for the new site.
Once you’ve done all of this, you should be able to point your browser to the new site URL, and it should work just like the old site.